ABOUT ME

My Blogs allow me to rant and rave about movies, scrapbooking, motherhood, saving money, and whatever else I'd like. I'm finding it to be a great release for me. I hope that others enjoy it as well.


Click my name to find out fun facts about Moi

How to Make An Active Volcano
I had mentioned before that I would give a few more details on how we made our volcano for our son's Dino B-day party (click link to see more pics). Mind you, I say "we" loosely because it was mainly my husband's work, though I did do some painting.

Basically, he had a cardboard tube with a plastic cup at the top. He then started building the volcano by wrapping newspaper to add bulk without wasting too much foam. He then covered the whole thing with spray insulation foam, which balloons up to what you see in the picture below.


He sprayed it with brown matte spray, but it's wet here so it looks much shinier than it dries. Still it was too bland and so that's where I came in. I went over it with greens and black to break it up. He did the red and silver at top, not sure why he used the silver, but whatever.


To make it explode, he read it was about 2 tablespoons baking soda to every 1/2 cup of vinegar, but he said more baking soda produced better results. He also added a little dish soap to make it foamier and red food coloring.

Sorry, don't have a picture of it, I was too busy filming it. If we'd been outside I would have done the mentos with soda. I still plan on doing that though, when it gets warm again.
0 Responses
Blog Widget by LinkWithin