ABOUT ME

My Blogs allow me to rant and rave about movies, scrapbooking, motherhood, saving money, and whatever else I'd like. I'm finding it to be a great release for me. I hope that others enjoy it as well.


Click my name to find out fun facts about Moi

Vicky Cristina Barcelona Review
Though I saw this movie when it first came out on video, I wasn't sure if I was going to post on it or not. The main reason being that I was embarrassed that I even watched it.

I have previously posted, on my blog, On My Lists, about my utter distaste for everything Woody Allen. Woody Allen being the director, there was an obvious moral dilemma.

That being said, I just had to see this movie because, as much as I can't stand Woody Allen, I love Javier Bardem. That man, wow! The decision was easier than it should have been, let's just say that.

This was really the first time I'd been able to see Bardem as a normal man, not made up to look older, or with a very heavy accent as he has in his foreign films. I liked his character alot, in fact. If I'm honest, I think I secretly hope this is how he is in real life.

But I digress. Getting back to the movie, it was surprisingly good. Penélope Cruz and Scarlett Johansson were both good. I was surprised to see that Penélope was not one of the two main women, but the part she did play was more fitting for her. She actually played the crazy, passionate ex. She inserts herself between Bardem and Johansson (Cristina), while Vicky pines for her best friend's man. Three women all desiring Bardem's affection, not a stretch I'm sure.

As always, with Allen's films, there's an examination of the dynamics of relationships between the characters. I don't know that there's ever conclusions made by him so much as he just allows us to make our own with what feels like open-ended, pointless story lines. I don't know maybe he's genius, but I just think he's lazy. I mean there should be a point to a story or why tell it? So, as far as the storyline goes, I wasn't overly impressed; but I did enjoy the cast and that was enough in this instance.
Labels: | edit post
0 Responses
Blog Widget by LinkWithin