ABOUT ME

My Blogs allow me to rant and rave about movies, scrapbooking, motherhood, saving money, and whatever else I'd like. I'm finding it to be a great release for me. I hope that others enjoy it as well.


Click my name to find out fun facts about Moi

Boxing Scores!
I recently wrote a post On My Lists about my favorite sport, boxing. I know a lot of people have opinions about boxing being barbaric and violent. I used to be one of those people myself, but then I started actually watching it and not just assuming I knew what it was all about. It changed my mind...obviously.

Ah, but that's not why I'm writing. I actually wanted to share how matches are scored, because not everyone knows.


The Ten Point Must System
Each judge scores each round using the following criteria:

Clean Punching (25%)
Effective Aggression (25%)
Ring Generalship (25%)
Defense (25%)

Clean punches are above the waist, on the front or sides of the body or head, and with the knuckle of the glove. The judge must determine if one boxer is landing more clean punches than the other.

Effective Aggression means landing punches while moving forward. If a fighter is aggressive but not landing punches, that does not count as effective aggression.

Ring Generalship means who is controlling the action in the ring, using strategy and skills beyond straight punching power. Is one fighter using agility and feinting to throw his opponent off guard? Or setting up his opponent for effective combinations? When one fighter moves the other around the ring at will, that fighter is displaying ring generalship.

Defense refers to a fighter's success at avoiding blows. This can be accomplished by blocking, bobbing, weaving, good footwork, and/or good movement.

Additional Ten-Point Calculations:
Apart from the four judging criteria mentioned above, there are several ways a boxer can lose points.

The referee can deduct points from a boxer for a foul. In that case each judge must subtract the points from that boxer's score for that round. This means, for example, that if the leading fighter is penalized for a 1 point foul, the resulting score (which would have been 10-9) becomes 9-9. Only the referee determines point deductions for a foul.

If a boxer is knocked down, a point is deducted from the boxer's score. For example, if the leading fighter (who is rewarded with ten points)knocks down the other fighter, the resulting score would be 10-8 (i.e., the leading boxer was already ahead, and now, with the knock down, he is an additional point ahead).

A standing eight count is scored the same as a knockdown, deducting one point from the score of the fighter who took the standing eight count.

Thanks to Ring Of Dreams.
Labels: | edit post
0 Responses
Blog Widget by LinkWithin